Simple Morning Reflection
“We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,”
2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV
I have reflected on this verse many times, but today something different stood out for me.
We destroy. The KJV says, “casting down imaginations”; NIV says, “demolish”. Regardless, what is it we are to destroy?
Arguments and lofty opinions raised against the knowledge of God.
So I had to ask myself, what arguments and lofty opinions do I need to destroy in my own thought life that are raised against the knowledge of the God I know?
Then I need to bring those thoughts into captivity. You can’t destroy something if you don’t take it captive!
Then there’s bringing those thoughts to the obedience of Christ. This part is what’s difficult for me. What exactly does that mean? What does that look like?
As an example: the thought, “I bring nothing to the table”.
I need to destroy this argument because it is against what I believe the truth of God says.
I need to take it captive, bring it to Jesus, and replace it with the truth.
So what is the truth? I am chosen and dearly loved(Colossians 3:12); I am a member of the body of Christ(1 Corinthians 12:27); I am wanted(Ephesians 1:4-5).
And that, I believe, is what is meant by bringing the thoughts into captivity to the obedience of Christ!
You replace the lies with truth!
Comments
Post a Comment