Fear God Not Man


 “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Proverbs‬ ‭29‬:‭25‬ ‭NIV‬‬

  • There is so much truth in this proverb! For the “fear of man” will most definitely “prove to be a snare”! When you fear what others think; or fear what they may say of you, that is a trap. When you live your life as a “people pleaser”, such as myself, you will never measure up; never be quite good enough. When you allow your fear of someone else’s opinion to determine how you act or respond to a given situation, you set yourself up for being controlled by them. You place yourself under their thumb so to speak. 
  • ‭‭‬‬But where does this fear come from? What is at its roots? For me, it is a fear of rejection. The fear of being disapproved of; of disappointing someone or of being told I’m wrong or just being selfish. This “fear of man” is straight from the pits of hell. Living in fear of others, or with a fear of rejection and need for approval is not the life Jesus came to give us. He reminds us in John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
  • ‭‭And in 2 Timothy 1:7 we are reminded, “for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
  • I love this verse from Galatians 1:10, ‭‭‬‬ “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” 
  • What this verse is saying to me is, if I’m going to be a “servant of Christ”, I need to be more concerned with loving and serving the Lord; doing what is pleasing to Him, not concerning myself with being a “people pleaser”. In being a “people pleaser” I’m setting myself up for failure because I will always do something that is displeasing to them! 
  • What a quandary! How foolish it is to fear others instead of trusting God! For as Jesus says in Matthew 10:28, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” And who are we to judge anyway, or allow ourselves to come under someone else’s judgment, as Paul reminds in 1 Corinthians 4:3-5, “But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.”
  • ‭‭Instead of living in the fear of man, choose to trust God. Live in the freedom He gave you, make a choice; a decision, and right or wrong, let God alone be the judge. For He alone knows our hearts, our motivations. He will contend with those who contend with us(Isaiah 49:25). 

‭‭

Comments

  1. I heard a commentary by Max Lucado that said we are created to be a gift to the world and signed by God. I love thinking of each of us in that light.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Has A Story

What controls you?

Affliction Can Produce Fruit