Affliction Can Produce Fruit

“The name of the second he called Ephraim, “For God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction.”” Genesis‬ ‭41‬:‭52‬ ‭ESV‬‬

  • “For God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction”. How many times have I read that verse and never really thought about it? We all know the story of Joseph, and how God used him even in the midst of his struggles and difficult circumstances and brought about good. Can He do the same for us? For me? Can God make me fruitful in the “land of my affliction“? And what is the “land of affliction” we are in? This “land” will be different for everyone. We may not like the circumstances we’re currently experiencing. We may not like the trials that daily come our way. We may ask God how long we must endure? But what if, like Esther, we were “made for such a time as this”?(See Esther 4:14). What if I chose to believe the lesson Chuck Swindoll presented in a devotional reading I had, “I am here by God’s appointment”; I am in His keeping”; I am under His training”; He will show me His purposes in His time”? 
  • Another verse that speaks of affliction is found in Psalms 119:67, 71(NIV), “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.” ‭‭
  • Did you catch that? The Psalmist says, “it was good for me to be afflicted”! Maybe I’m thinking of trials or afflictions in the wrong way? Because, if not for the “affliction”, trials and struggles, how would I have recognized my need for God? How would I have come to understand the things that needed changing or removed from my life? Perhaps instead, I should be thanking the Lord for helping me to see the error of my ways, for not giving up on me and for drawing me back to Himself! 
  • Then there’s this verse from, Isaiah 38:17(ESV), “Behold, it was for my welfare that I had great bitterness; but in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back.” 
  • “It was for my welfare I had great bitterness”! Not sure I’m there yet where I can say what Hezekiah did! For context, Hezekiah was very sick, the Word of the Lord came to him through the prophet Isaiah, he was going to die, Hezekiah cried out to Lord and the Lord heard his prayer and added 15 years to his life! The above verse is a portion of his response after the Lord spared his life. His affliction caused him to turn to the Lord; call out to Him and his prayers were answered. 
  • There seems to be a theme running through each of these verses. Being fruitful in the land of “affliction”; learning God’s ways and how to live a life that is pleasing to Him through our “afflictions”; that our “afflictions” can cause us to cry out to Him; look to Him for strength; grace; even the ability to persevere through whatever trial we may be facing. 
  • Jesus reminds us in John 15:1-2, ““I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”
  • Though pruning may hurt I know God has a purpose and plan in the pruning, to become more like His Son.
  • Instead of focusing on my circumstances and wishing God would change them, maybe I should focus more on the meaning behind what Jesus teaches in Matthew 6:33. “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” For if not for the “pruning” through the challenges or “afflictions” of life how would the fruit be produced? 
  • And then there’s always my favorite, Philippians 1:6 which promises, “…he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Has A Story

What controls you?