We are “co-workers” with God!

“For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.” ‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3‬:‭9‬ ‭NIV‬‬

  • I like the thought of being a co-worker in God’s service. But it does makes me think, what kind of co-worker am I? Even though I am retired, I think I can still ask myself, do I faithfully serve Him every day? Am I doing the work He has called me to do, wholeheartedly or begrudgingly? Are there times when I find it easier to go along with the crowd in order to avoid conflict or do I stand for what is right no matter how hard it may be? 
  • In Colossians 3:23, it says, “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.” Even when I’m just doing the dishes? Yes! Sometimes I think the attitude we have towards any particular task is what helps. Charles Stanley’s Life Principle #4 teaches us that the awareness of God’s presence, energizes us for our work. We can ask God to help us to do our best no matter what we are doing. We can practice thankfulness or gratitude with each task that comes our way. The Bible teaches us that God cares about everything that concerns us, (1 Peter 5:7) so bring Him into each moment of the day. God is everywhere we are. Think about that for a moment. Whether we’re at work, washing dishes, doing laundry, caring for an ailing family member, driving a car, walking around the block, no matter what we’re doing God is there! He sees every interaction, every conversation, nothing escapes Him! I don’t know about you, but for me, that’s a little overwhelming! Makes we want to pay attention to how I go about my day, am I bringing glory to God; pleasing Him by how I go about different tasks, or am I just checking things off my to do lists? What is my motivation? 
  • ‭‭Also, let’s remember, Jesus came to serve not to be served (Matthew 20:28), and as followers of Jesus we are to do the same. Paul reminds us, in Philippians 2:5-7, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.”‭
  • ‭‭We are human, and chores are not always fun; co-workers are not always easy; and people can be annoying, and we will get frustrated, loose our cool, and mess up along the way, but thankfully, God is a “boss” of second chances! His mercies are new each morning! As Lamentations 3:22-23 reminds us “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” We can start again each day! A clean slate so to speak, to be the person He calls us to be, to bring Him glory; to reflect Jesus to those around us! 
  • As Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me”.
  • So may we “Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!” Psalms 100:2 ESV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Has A Story

What controls you?

Affliction Can Produce Fruit