I am Gods Workmanship

 

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians‬ ‭2‬:‭10‬ ‭ESV‬‬

  • "We are his workmanship", just want to reflect on that thought for a moment. In Genesis, it does say that we have been created in the image and likeness of God. (Genesis 1:26-27). I read a book once by Tony Evans called, "Called for a Purpose”. I love how he compares the sculptor Michelangelo to God’s creating us. "The great Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet Michelangelo once said", “In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.” Isn't that awesome! And God sees us the same way! He sees what we can and will become! But it takes "chiseling" away the things that keep us from becoming all He wants for us. Isaiah  64:8 says, "But now, O Lord,  you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand." It is God who fashions and molds us with and for a purpose. That we may reflect the image of His Son to the world around us. Sometimes this "chiseling", or "pruning", may hurt a bit, but it is with His best interest at heart. Luke 3:16 says, "...He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire". A baptism that's a type of cleansing, riding us of what is "fleshy” within us; getting rid of what keeps us "bound". Like fire that purifies, gets rid of what's useless and no good. In John 15:1-2 Jesus said, “”I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”
  • The purpose in this “pruning”, is for us to become more like Jesus, so let us allow God to continue His work! 
  • This verse also says we have been created “in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Notice it says “For” good works. It’s not the works themselves that save us, for we are saved by grace when we place our faith in Jesus alone for the forgiveness of our sins. But we are meant to do good; to bring glory to God in the way we live out this life He has given us. As Jesus reminds us in Matthew 5:16 (ESV), “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” 
  • ‭‭But how do we know we are walking in His purpose or plan for us? 
  • I love Psalm 25:4-5(ESV), “Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.” It has become like a prayer for me because I desire to know if I am walking according to His purpose.
  • The word “make”, by definition means, “to create; to force, or to cause to happen.” Synonyms might be, “cause, prepare or accomplish.”
  • When I think of the word “make”, I think of things like making a cake or making the bed, a quilt or even dinner.  So, how does God “make” me to know His ways? What does that look like?
  • When I set out to make a quilt, there is a lot of planning that comes into play. Generally I follow a pattern. After I read through the instructions, I get everything together that I need to make the quilt. I have to follow the instructions given, otherwise it will not come together and I end up with a mess.
  • Kind of like life, it can get messy at times, but thankfully God has given us an “instruction manual” to follow. He has given us everything we need, as 2 Peter 1:3(NIV) says, “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”
  • ‭ As we spend time with Him, reading and meditating on His word, we come to know Him; His character. We gain perspective. And this is how, I believe, God “causes” or “makes” us to know His ways, so that we can walk in them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Has A Story

What controls you?

Affliction Can Produce Fruit