We have been given great and precious promises by God

 ”His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.“ 2 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭3‬-‭4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

  • Through His great and precious promises we can become partakers of His divine nature! What does this mean? For me, perhaps , it is in the more I come to know God; know Him for who He is; His character, the more I may become like Him; like Jesus! My life should be a reflection of Jesus! Overcoming daily those “worldly” desires that exist within. Thankfully not in my own strength, but His power at work within me helps me to live a life that brings Him glory. As Philippians 2:13 says, “for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.“

  • But what are these great and precious promises?
  • First, I know one thing, God never promised us a  “rose garden”.  He never promised us a worry free or struggle free life. If anything Jesus said we would have trials! John 16:33, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”” But what He did promise us, was to be with us through it all, and to give us His peace. 
  • So today,  I thought I would share a few of my favorite promises of God, but I am sure you have promises that hold special meaning for you. I will start with Deuteronomy 31:6, (ESV) “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” I have called on this verse so many times! I need that daily reminder that God is always with me, I don’t need to be afraid! Then there’s Isaiah 41:10, “fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” And of course Isaiah 43:1-3, where God reminds me that He is with me no matter what circumstances or challenges lie ahead. He is always walking right beside me. 
  • And then there’s Isaiah 46:4(NIV) which says, “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.” 
  • Such an awesome promise of God! No matter our age, He is always with us! Even if we should forget who we are, God will never forget! He promises to sustain us, to carry us, to rescue us. 
  • Which leads to the promise in Psalm 55:22, ”Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.“
  • Notice it doesn't say He'll remove your problems. Your circumstances may not change. But Sustain you. I like this definition of the word sustain. "strengthen or support physically or mentally; to support, hold, or bear up from below". That is encouraging. Knowing we are not alone in our struggles, but He strengthens and supports us through them!
  • Maybe just two more. ‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:12-13‬ ‭ESV‬‬, I love how God promises that when I call upon Him, He will hear me; when I seek Him, I will find Him. And Psalm 91:14-15(ESV)‬‬ ““Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.”
  • These are just a few, but there are so many more promises of God! The Bible is full of them! Maybe choose one promise a day, meditate on it, memorize it, then when a challenge pops up, or you’re faced with a struggle you can recall that promise because you have stored it in your heart 🙂

  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Everyone Has A Story

    What controls you?

    Affliction Can Produce Fruit