Just Give Me Jesus

 

  • “My Utmost For His Highest”, by Oswald Chambers, is always full of challenging devotions! There is one, dated July 12th, which is especially challenging to me, so I thought I would share my thoughts. In this particular devotion Oswald says, “My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace, nor even blessing, but Himself, my God” And then he raises the question, “Am I measuring my life by this standard or by something else?”

So I decided to ask myself the same question, what is my goal? Is my goal to know God Himself; for who He is, or what I can get? 

  • In Philippians 3:7-15, Paul considered knowing Jesus as the most important thing in his life. He counted all things as loss; his status, or success in life meant nothing to him in light of knowing Jesus and the power of His resurrection. 
    • What is it worth to me to know Jesus? Is He more important to me than my need to be seen? My need for approval or acceptance? My need to be in control or think everything depends on me? What am I willing to sacrifice to truly know Him for who He is, to trust Him completely? And not just for what He can give or do for me?
    • In John 6:26, Jesus had just finished feeding the 5000. Later, when the people couldn’t find Him, they went looking for Him, but Jesus said to them ”…you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.” Now that’s convicting to me!
    • What is my true motivation for coming to know the Lord? Is it just for the many blessings He gives? Not that these are bad, because they’re not, but are they more important to me than simply coming to know the Lord as Savior and friend? When times are hard, or don’t go my way; when struggles or inconveniences pop up out of nowhere, do I still trust Him? 
    • Natalie Grant has a song called, “More than Anything”, I love these lyrics, “Help me want the Healer more than the healing Help me want the Savior more than the saving Help me want the Giver more than the giving Help me want you Jesus more than anything”
    • May this song be our prayer! May we, with Paul, consider “everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord” (Philippians 3:8). And like David in Psalm 27:4, “One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.” May I become more like Mary and just be willing to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen! 
    • ‭‭Won’t happen overnight, but it is an awesome goal:)

    Comments

    1. Working on it too! Still got a ways to go....

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Everyone Has A Story

    What controls you?

    Affliction Can Produce Fruit