Do I trust that God will provide?

 “and he rained down on them manna to eat and gave them the grain of heaven. Man ate of the bread of the angels; he sent them food in abundance.” Psalm‬ ‭78‬:‭24‬-‭25‬ ‭ESV‬‬

God gave. And not just gave, he “rained down manna” for the Israelites to eat; He provided for their needs. Not just a little, but abundantly! How much more will He provide for us? Even Paul,  in Philippians 4:19 says, “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Notice it says NEED not WANT, I “want” a lot of things, but I may not necessarily “need” them, thankfully God really does know best, whether I like it or not:)

But, do we really trust that He will provide? Or do we think, “I can manage on my own”; “I can take care of myself”; I’m self sufficient”? That’s how the world would have us think. By the worlds standards we should be able to make it on our own. We shouldn’t need anyone or anything. And yet, does this attitude really work? Do you ever just get tired of striving? Feeling like you’re just not good enough? You just don’t quite measure up? Well, what if we took that as a positive instead of a negative? What if we agreed with God that we don’t measure up; that we’re not good enough? Wouldn’t that be one way of recognizing our need for Him? Maybe this is what Paul meant, when he said he would boast in his weaknesses, so that Christ’s power would rest on him(see 2 Corinthians 12:9). After all, “… it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”(‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2‬:‭13‬ ‭ESV‬). And again in 2 Corinthians 3:5, Paul reminds us, “Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God”.

So, maybe we should stop relying on those “broken cisterns”; thinking it’s all up to us, or leaning on whatever gets us through the day, and trust in the God who abundantly provides!( See Jeremiah 2:13).

This verse also says, He gave them the “grain of Heaven”. Which made me think of “the bread of life” in John 6:35, where Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” Only Jesus can truly satisfy. Only Jesus can be the answer to our need for more or be the answer to our question, “is this all there is”? The things we rely on will never be enough, we will always hunger and thirst for more. That’s why, I think, Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28-29, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest”. Jesus can give us the strength we need each day. As we take His yoke upon us, as the next verse says, we learn from Him how to respond to the events of the day, good or bad. We learn to walk with Him not against Him. We learn that His grace truly is sufficient, we don’t have to do it alone. May we learn to come to the well of our salvation; a well that never runs dry, and receive from Him all we need(Isaiah 12:3)! Remembering He blesses us abundantly:)

‭‭‬‬

‭‭

‭‭ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Has A Story

What controls you?

Affliction Can Produce Fruit